- 1 pound large elbow macaroni or your favorite pasta for Mac and Cheese
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Gruyere, grated
- 2 cups extra-sharp aged Cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Panko Bread Crumbs, for topping
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat the milk on in a small saucepan, do not to boil it. Melt the butter in a large pot and add the flour. Whisk over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. While whisking, add the hot milk and bring to a boil, cooking until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir and fold in to the cooked macaroni. Pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is evenly browned on the top.